It is sometimes difficult to diagnose acorn poisoning, as the symptoms can be very vague and mimic many other illnesses. Some horses seem to have an affinity for acorns and oak leaves, but most ingest them completely by accident.
Symptoms of poisoning by acorn/ oak ingestion include:
- Blood in the urine
- Edema in the legs
There is no known treatment to reverse the effects of acorn poisoning, however it is important to seek out a licensed veterinarian to offer supportive care to restore fluids and treat symptoms.