Horses will generally avoid plants they shouldn't eat. But occasionally horses will unintentionally ingest a plant they shouldn't eat, such as Nightshade. If you suspect your equine has ingested something they shouldn't have it is extremely important to seek emergency veterinarian assistance. Time is of the essence.
Symptoms of Nightshade toxicity include:
Muscle weakness/ tremors
Lack of interest in food
Neostigmine can counteract the effects of Nightshade, if the ingestion is caught early enough. In most cases supportive therapy, such as IV fluids are also required. Many horses recover from Nightshade poisoning, some however, do not.