What can cause colic: This can cause colic- stress, dental problems and tainted food.
How can colic be treated: Colic can be treated by certain treatments like certain medications and putting them on a lead rope and trot your horse for ten minutes or walk for 20 minutes or put your horse in your trailer for 30 minutes.
Some of the symptoms to look for: Pawing at the ground, stomping at the ground, swinging their head back and forth, rolling or wanting to lie down, looking at the flank, not eating excessive sweating, playing in the water bucket but not drinking and not going poop.
Yes, you can help prevent colic by doing these five steps:
- Always have a good amount of grass and hay but grass is better.
- Always make sure your horses have water.
- Give two or three small portions of grain a day instead of one large.
- Regularly de-worm your horses.
- Daily exercises for your horses.